Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grotto Falls, Hers and Sketch and Sniff

(Climb date: Saturday April 2, 2011)

I was super keen to head to The Professor Falls, but Friday it snowed about 25 cm’s and during the day Saturday it snow another 25.  The avi and road conditions were crap, so Steve and I settled for an easy day at Grotto Falls.
  






The upper section of Grotto had grown more than normal and the upper section had a steep curtain to the left of the gully, probably 4-, it was steep.










After blasting up Grotto, brought Steve up, rapped, and then over to Hers.  His was melted out on the bottom.  Hers was fatter than normal, maybe 4-, but the upper section had very poor quality ice and it was not easy to get over the chained anchor.









Once the top rope was up, Steve and I did lap, after lap, on the left side, very delicate side, of the pillar.  We also did several laps on the mixed route, “Sketch and Sniff” (M6+); lots of fun.




  
Once we couldn’t use our arms anymore, we went to the Drake for pints!  Fun short day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
When I started alpine climbing about 25 years I yearned to be a “hard man” alpinist. Took me awhile to understand I wasn’t cut out for that, and now, I just want to have fun.